Background of Laboratoire Aguettant
In the 1830s, Noël Crolas, prepared the tincture developed by Anthelme Cocheux, from whom he bought the rights in 1855. Eager to ensure the continued existence of the family business, Ferdinand Crolas sold it to his brother-in-law, Louis-Joseph Aguettant, chemist and businessman who founded the Laboratoire Tavernier and Aguettant with another pharmacist in 1880.
The interest fuelled by the works of Gabrielle Pravaz, who perfected the syringe, and the studies by Ferdinand Crolas, are going to guide the vocation of the Laboratoire.
In 1903, Noël Aguettant, who was the son of Louis-Joseph and a pharmacist, set up the business to resume the work of his forefathers and to develop a new technology: the injectable drug.
From then on, AGUETTANT specialises in the development and manufacture of essential injectable medicines for hospital use.
In 1942, the " LABORATOIRE AGUETTANT " company was created and managed by Georges, the younger son of Noel. From now on, the company activities went from being industrial. Georges is an industrial expert, a forerunner regarding rationalization and production organization. Business activities shift from the community pharmacy to the industrial laboratory.
New innovations appear in the products field and on the industrial facilities. Some key dates.
1945 : Solutes to offset the loss of minerals during renal dialysis: first product launched on the French market.
1961 : The only pharmaceutical company in France to offer solutes in flexible packaging.
1968: Dialytan H, the first concentrate for dialysis to obtain a Marketing Authorisation in France.
1971 : First pharmaceutical company in Europe equipped with a continuous steriliser.
1977 : Development of several artificial nutrition formulas. Once a pioneer, the company becomes the new market leader.
1979 : Commissioning of a computerised high storage warehouse.
In 1985, it's now Ariel Aguettant, son of Georges, to run the company. During these years the company diversifies its activities. Dates to remember.
1980 : Automation of the glass vial production line: the fastest in Europe
1987 : Opening of the Champagne site (Ardèche - France)
1996 : Launch of the first chrono-programmable pump on the European market
1999 : Launch of a pre-filled apomorphine pen
2007 : Construction of a new distribution facility in Saint-Fons (Rhône - France), sized for worldwide operations
The company is still an independent and family company. In 2009 Sébastien Aguettant (defer grandson of the founder) becomes Chairman of the Supervisory Board.
2009 : Launch of the first pre-filled plastic syringe in Europe
2012 : Acquisition of PX’Therapeutics
2014 : Construction of a new production site at Lyon Gerland (Rhône - France) to meet the requirements of international benchmarks
The company always intends to improve the medical service, to facilitate gestures and to design new innovative products.
With its new industrial facilities the company is equipped with necessary means to conquer new territories.